Thursday 2 April 2009

WE CAN MAKE IT IF WE TRY.

I have just finished watching one of the best music videos to come out of Nigeria. The rapper is Gino and the name of the track is- '' No Be God ''. The video was well produced with amazing camera shots that made proud of being a Nigerian. The video was shot in Dolphin Estate in Lagos, Nigeria. I have always believed that one make it anywhere in the world if you have focus, creativity, God and determination. I have seen Africans in Europe who are simply wasting their time there. I have also seen people in Nigeria and other African nations, who are making loads of money in their countries without travelling out of the continent. I love the message Gino passed along to us in the track. He is telling us that no matter what we are going through or what we have gone through in the past, we can still make it if we try.

I can still remember my days as a boarding house student at Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, Nigeria. There were days when I would have nothing in my locker to eat. The food served by the school authorities was nothing to write home about. I can recall that I often begged for Gari and Sugar from some of my friends and hostel mates. I still wondered how I survived back in those days when Hip-Hop was still in its truest form. Back in those days of Heavy D, KrissKross, Queen Latifah, Guru and DJ Premier [ Gangstarr ], Hammer, etc etc. I thank God that I survived the siege called ' exixtence ' from 1990-1995. Nothing has come to me on a platter of Gold since I was born. I've had to fight for some of the things I have today.

I love my country, Nigeria. After travelling out of Nigeria and seeing what obtains in Britain, I have come to love my country deeply. Nigeria is a blessed country. We have a nice weather and practically any crop can be grown in the country. There was a time I travelled to Abuja in 2002 [ I was also in Abuja in 2005 ]. As the Luxury Bus passed through Kogi State onward to the Federal Capital, I could not help being proud of the scenery. I saw forests, rock formations and hills that reminded me of some states in America. Nigeria is indeed beautiful. When I was serving in Ondo State, I was privileged to visit places like Owo, Ikare- Akoko, Ipele, Owena, Sabotu [ Riverine area ] and I also lived in Akure. Nigerian states have an amazing scenery. The problem with my coutry is bad leadership. Our leaders are mostly visionless and very greedy.

However, I believe we can make it if we try. It is time for all of us to start believing in Nigeria. Gino did not leave the country before shooting that great video. Change has come to Nigeria and it is the citizens that have brought about the change themselves. A lot of positive things are going on in Nigeria amidst the lack of basic infrastructure. Ordinary Nigerians are on the move. The country is being rebranded and my prayer is that Dora Akunyili will succeed where others have failed. At the end of Gino's video is the saying- ' No food for lazy man '. I agree with the dude. Hardwork pays. Let us put a lot of effort into anything we do. Our breakthrough will come when we least expect it. We can make it if we try. We need to make Nigeria the country it is destined to be. As for me, its hey no stopping me now, I'm on the move. And how was your day?

No comments: