Tuesday 31 March 2009

AN INTERESTING FACT.

Hi there, today is the last day of March 2009. I tried to cut my hair at the local barbershop some hours ago, but Tony and his boys had closed. I checked out two other Hair Salons and they had also closed. Bad timing on my side, I suppose. I will give this hair-cutting need my best shot tomorrow. That means I will need to go out earlier to get the task done. Someone asked me at work yesterday if I was trying to grow dreadlocks. Who? Me?. Nah, I'm not about to become Bob Marley.

Anyway, I dug up an interesting fact today from a book I was reading. I guess you've heard of the gun AK-47? Yeah, you might have also seen soldiers and Military Policemen wielding AK-47's in Nigeria. The full meaning of AK is ' avtomat Kalashnikova ' which means Kalashnikov's Automatic. The 47 means the year the gun was selected as the official weapon of the Soviet Union. The name of the man who invented the AK-47 is Mikhail Kalashnikov. The gun is light and easy to use. Former Soviet Union school boys were taught to clean and assemble the weapon in an average of 2 minutes. No wonder the rifle has become very popular all over the world. The Russians must have made pretty good money selling the weapon.

The AK-47 has been used for both good and evil tasks. It has been used by the Mafia in Italy to settle scores during territorial wars. It has alo been used by Armed Gangs in Nigeria and other parts of the world. The weapon is also being used to maintain law and order by Government agencies in different countries. The United Nations also gives the gun to soldiers for peace keeping missions [ I believe only God can guarantee peace in the world ] in war-torn countries. Hmn, what a fact. I hope you loved my lecture. And how was your day?

No comments: