Saturday 4 April 2009

DIRECT ADVERTISING AND YOU.


I decided to conduct a search on the internet during the week. If you can remember, I made a promise in one of my posts to make TOLU'S PARADISE outstanding this year. If you've noticed, my blog has not been having a lot of pictures to complement the words I've been spewing out. So I decided to do what many a great mind would have done- I decided to scour the web for sites where I can get free pictures and photographs. Thanks to Google, My search delivered many websites to me. The sites providing free photos for bloggers are many. Before I go on, I will like to ask you this question. What are you doing to make the lives of other citizens under the sun better? I'm asking this question because I know some people in different continents decided to help creative types like me, to make their online experience good, by providing free pictures for them to download for their personal use.

Back to the issue of direct marketing. Nigerians need to embrace the concept of Direct Marketing as the economy continues to expand. Companies in Nigeria must realize that it is not enough to place adverts on the Radio, Television and in Newspapers and Magazines. Adverts placed in the electronic media are fleeting and they might be quickly forgotten. I'm not ruling out putting adverts on our screens and on the airwaves, but research has shown that Direct Marketing pulls in more customers than other kinds of advertising. I have this belief that if Mr Biggs, Tantalizers, Sweet Sensation, Tastee Fried Chicken and other fast food outlets start utilizing the power of direct marketing, they will increase their customer base and make more money. Research has shown that many Nigerians need that fast food outlets are meant for rich people. So they don't even bother patronizing Tantalizers and Co. So why can't Mr Biggs and the rest of the fast food gang bring their services direct to Nigerian homes?

Direct Marketing does not cost much. It is a whole lot cheaper than other forms of advertising. Leaflets can do the job for both Small businesses and established big business alike. Leaflets do not cost much to print. What is vital is that the leaflets should be colourful, well designed and carry a strong message. Good images should be used on the leaflets. Images of cakes , meat pies, balloons etc will be suitable for a leaflet that is promoting a Fat Food joint. The prices of the snacks and food items should also be listed on the flyer or leaflet. Phone numbers, websites and email addresses of the eateries should also be displayed on the leaflets. My advice to any graphics designer or printer looking for Leaflet Design ideas is this- Conduct a search on the internet.

Creative advertising is what is needed in the Nigerian business environment. Many small businesses are failing because their founders are not innovative enough. They also don't want to go the extra mile of creating awareness for their business concerns. They just sit back and expect customers to come to them. In the end, the business collapses and packs up. I'm going to upload an image I downloaded from the web with this post. If it works, it will be the beginning of solid pictures appearing on my blog. I will give you a link to many of these sites that provide free pictures later on. If you're a small business owner, you need to start thinking of direct advertising and marketing. It is time to start giving the big businesses a run for their money. Cheers. And how was your day?

No comments: