Friday 10 April 2009

JUST GOOGLE IT: An Interview With Sergey Brin. [ Co-founder, Larry Page ]

If you look carefully at my Shelfari bookshelf, which is on this blog, you'll notice I have a book about Google on it. I am an ardent admirer of Sergin Brin and Larry Page, the founders of the highly acclaimed search engine. I became fascinated with the internet way back in 2003, and Sergey and Larry have helped me deepen my knowledge about the workings of search engines.

I will focus more on Sergey Brin in this post. This is because he is the one that mainly talks to the press. Larry is a bit reserved and loves to work behind the scenes. Sergey was born in Moscow, USSR, on August 21, 1973, to Russian Jewish parents. His father, Michael Brin, is a Mathematics Professor at the University of Maryland, USA. His mother, Eugenia Brin, is a research scientist at NASA'S Goddard space flight centre.

Sergey met Larry Page, the co-founder of Google Inc at Stanford University when he was doing his PhD in Computer Science there. They quickly became friends and were very intellectual in nature. Soon they started working on Google. They crammed their dormitory room with cheap computers and tested their new search engine designs on the web. Their project grew quickly enough to cause problems for Stanford's computing Infrastructure. They then realized they had succeeded in creating a superior engine for searching the web. This discovery made them suspend their PhD studies to work more on Google.

If you want to read more about Google, conduct an internet search yourself. Wikipedia will give you more information about the company and its founders. Google Inc has become the best search engine in the world. It is the world's largest internet company based on its search engine and online advertising technology. Sergey Brin is ranked by Forbes as the 32nd richest person in the world. Brin is worth billions of dollars. The company has also won many awards, including the Outstanding Search Service Award in 2001. Brin is a Computer Scientist, Technology Innnovator and Entrepreneur.

Everything about Google gets me excited. The Company has its own way of conducting business. Google employees hardly wear ties and suits. They dress like people going for a nice time at the Pub. They are indulged with three square meals at work. If you care to know, Google actually has an in-house cook. Google Employees can also be found playing computer games at work. However, they get the job done for Brin and Page. My advice to you is that you should pick friends that will inspire you to greatness. Don't walk with friends that cannot support your dreams. Good friends are hard to find. Sergey Brin and Larry Page are both Jews. Their parents are scholars, so they were able to positively influence their children. Try and stimulate the thinking of your kids. It would do them a lot of good.

I don't have many friends. The fewer my friends, the better for me. Most of my friends are nerds anyway. One Nigerian I admire is Seun Osewa. The founder of Nairaland and Nairalist. Nairaland has about 315,000 memebers now. Seun's sites are getting adverts from Google these days. I admire Seun because he started Nairaland as a forum where Nigerians and friends of Nigeria can exchange ideas. His Nairalist is also people oriented. Learn a lesson from this. Think about others. As for me, I have my own plans. And how was your day?

1 comment:

Seun Osewa said...

Thanks for the mention!