Thursday 17 January 2008

WELCOME TO MY WORLD

Hi, welcome to my blog. This is a new beginning for me when it comes to writing online. My name is Tolu Ihidero. I just can't believe I am doing this. Before I go on, I want to let you know when I started writing. I started putting my feelings on paper when I was six years old. I used to write on the inner back of my exercise books in Primary School. I wrote pieces that were more like drama scenes, but my drama pieces were never acted out. I was introvertive then, and I am still very reserved.

I continued writing in High School which happened to be Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, Nigeria. JOGS as my High School [ High Schools are referred to as Secondary Schools in Nigeria.Dunno about other African Countries] was popularly called helped in developing my writing talent. The School had a very good Library which was stocked with the latest books on the planet. I was told the Library received a yearly grant of 10,000 Naira from the foundation of the late Mobolaji Bank Anthony. Bank Anthony was one of Nigeria's prominent businessmen who by 1966, was either chairman or director of over a dozen Companies. Some of the companies included Mobil Oil Nigeria, Aero Contractors company of Nigeria and the Pressed Metal Works. Sir Mobolaji Bank Anthony was a Philanthropist with a difference and he was the president of The Young Men's Christian Association [ YMCA] in Lagos.

Well, the school library nurtured my appetite for reading, and, boy, I read alot of books there. I will give you the list of books I read later. I wrote my first mini novel at JOGS. The book was titled '' The Great Attempt'', and it was about an armed robbery gang and a Cop that was determined to see them end up in jail. My friends and classmates loved the book and it was passed around until someone decided to keep in an unknown library. The book was not published for the outer world, but I guess it won't make much sense to the average reader today.That was my humble beginning.

After High School, I attended the Nigerian Institute of Journalisn [NIJ] at Ogba, Lagos.The School is close to one of the offices of that Examination body that plays a role in determining if you'll attend a University or Polytechnic in Nigeria.I also attended the University of Ibadan and got a Degree in History from the Premier University. I currently write for AFRICA, St Patrick's Mission's Magazine. I write the Music and Sports pages of the Catholic publication. I've been writing for AFRICA since 2004.

I 've just given you an abrigded version of my journey in the Wilderness of words.How are you doing?

No comments: