Monday 21 January 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOLU IHIDERO.


I remember when I clocked 10. I was still in primary school then. I remember that lovely day in 1988. It was a Saturday and my mother [ too bad that she left my Father when I needed her most ] ,took me to a shoe shop somewhere in Ikeja where she bought me a nice pair of shoes. A suit had been sown for me some weeks before in anticipation of my great day. The day went well and I can still remember that someone gave me a birthday present that changed my life.


The birthday present was given to me by Chief Jaja, one of my father's friends, who happened to be the husband of my mother's sister. I believe in giving and that gift remains the best I've ever received. It was a very unique gift and it was three fold. The first part of it was a metal tin of biscuits. The second phase of the gift were two story books which were shipped in from the United States of America. The books were Walt Disney books and I can only imagine how much they will cost today. One of the books was titled ''The Fox and the Hound'', and the other was about some fairies living in a far away land. The third part of the gift inspired the creativity that still lies in me. It was a carefully designed briefcase that had pencils, pens, markers, crayons, and wax of all colours in it. I later found out it was manufactured by Crayola.


The briefcase remained with me for some time before I outgrew it. Lesson learnt? Always deposit goodness in the lives of people you meet. That was what the chief did to me. May his soul rest in perfect peace. Tomorrow, January 22, 2008 is my birthday. It will be a day of deep reflections for me. It will also be a day for me to pray to God for help. I definately need his help to forge through the year. My life is definately in his hands. If you get to read this post, I will appreciate it if you say a prayer for me. Thanks.


If you happen to be an Aquarian just as I am, then I want to wish you Happy Birthday as well. I also pray that someone will deposit a'' box of crayons '' into your life before the year runs out. And how are you doing?

No comments: