Thursday 7 February 2008

THE COMING VALENTINE'S DAY.

I have tried to figure out what the Valentine's day means to me. I started witnessing people celebrating the event from my secondary school days. I used to notice the prefects and other seniors designing greeting cards that would be given to their Girlfriends on the day. Before you start grinning , I want you to know that my school was a Boys only School. Yeah, we were all boys. We used to be mixed until the 1960's when the ladies were packed [as I was told] into a bus and driven to a new premises that had been built for them. That premises became Anglican Girls Grammar School [AGGS], Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.

So the seniors and prefects would sneak out to AGGS and other female secondary Institutions to see their girlfriends. There were always valentine parties held in town. These parties were usually thrown by students whowere not boarders and who came from rich homes. Hmn? I was not born with a silver spoon. I come from a humble background, though my Parents were not poor. I grew up in a middle class home in Ikeja, Lagos State. I have never really celebrated a valentine's day with a lady, you know. Though I have had female friends in the past, I can't remember taking any of them out for Valentine's day. To me Valentine should be a daily thing, not the February 14 frenzy that it is. It is not a day to get drunk, or have wild sex only. I feel it should be a day when lovers will spend quality time together to reassess their relationship. A day of talking about the future of the relationship or marriage. A day to share gifts and a day to thank God for the relationship.

Well, I don't know how my Valantine's day will be, but I would definately be enjoying myself. And don't ask me who it will be with. That's a top secret between me and my creator. Have a wonderful valentine's day in advance.

And how was your day?

No comments: