Thursday 21 February 2008

AFRICAN IRISH

I started knowing about Ireland in 2003 when I met a young man known as Vincent Egede. Vincent was my course mate at the University of Ibadan. We were not close during the first year at Uni, but somehow fate [ or is it God? ] brought us together. It happened that after a particular lecture on a rainy afternoon, we both left the Faculty of Arts [ We were both students of History ], and walked to the Sports Centre. It was there that Vincent told me his story. I cannot for the reasons of privacy divulge what Vincent told me that day, but it all boiled down to the fact that he'd left the monastery to help the Irish Missionaries out when it came to Catholic Publications. Vincent introduced me to the work of the St Patrick Fathers. I am still protestant, but I admire the work of the Irish missionaries in Nigeria. They are quietly bringing succour to people in my country.

I started writing for AFRICA, St Patrick's Missions Magazine back in 2004. I have been with the Publication since then. Vincent is the Assistant Editor of the Magazine, with Father Jim Sheering as the Editor. Along with other priests, writers and contributors we successfully publish the West African Edition of the Magazine four times a year. I consider myself an African-Irish. I don't carry an Irish Passport, but I am somehow Irish. The colour of my blog was deliberately chosen to be Green. The colour of St Patrick. I look forward to visiting Ireland one day. I love the liberal Irish way of life and it's beautiful countryside. I guess this years St Patrick's day will be superb. At least I can be Irish on that day. We don't usually have St Patrick's day parades in Africa, but I know the day will be marked somehow at St Agnes Catholic Church, Maryland, Nigeria.

The Irish people and Ireland have come to stay in my heart. Ireland has a great history and I've got friends in Dublin. There is one thing about me. My dreams come true. So I know I will visit Ireland soon. Thanks to Vincent Egede for bringing into the world of the Irish. And how was your day?

No comments: