Monday 18 February 2008

BOOKS AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT.

I love reading good books. My father encouraged my siblings and I to read voraciously. I remember the day he came back from work with two big cartons of books, comics and Magazines. They'd been given to him by his Lebanese and Syrian friends who had kids studying in the United States. I still remember that one of the kids had his name on some of the books. ''Nabil'' was the name, yeah. My mother was also keen to fire our imagination with books. She introduced me to the FAMOUS FIVE series written by Enid Blyton. I started wondering where London was on the world map, after reading Blyton's books.

Books are very essential when it comes to Personal Development. Books provide us with a lot of information which we can use to transform our lives. We get to know about other races, countries and continents on the pages of books. Personal Development is what adds the extra value to us after we bag certificates from schools. Qualifications alone can not take us to the zenith of our careers. We always need to display enough mental skills that will set us apart. Books provide information that can enhance our qualifications. In short, reading makes a man. One of the reasons why Nigeria is stunted developmentally, can be deduced from the fact that most of our leaders don't read. How many Governors and Ministers in Nigeria have personal libraries? How many commissioners and State officials have read Ben Carson's books? I doubt if they even know who Dr Carson is. It is as bad as that in my country.

Personal Development is something we need to think about daily. Apart from praying to God, Personal Development should be our main focus. When we develop ourselves daily, we'll become indispensable to our enployers, communities and countries. Personal Development is a close relative of Books. Show me a man that reads and I will show you a winner. Reading is not a difficult thing to engage in. Just create time to sit down with a book for at least an hour daily. In no time, you would have finished reading the book. Then you can pick another book and start the process again. God knows how many books you'll be able to read in a year with this technique. And the sweet thing is that all the knowledge you garner from reading voraciously will be useful one day. Happy Reading. You can check www.shelfari.com to sign up as a lover of books. And how was your day?

No comments: